Sunday, May 27, 2018

Through the Eyes of My Nephew - Chapter 15

Big Mike is heart-broken that he will soon lose his best friend

“Hi Mike, how come you are not excited to greet me with your usual big smile? Are you crying? What happened?”

“Unc, I am very upset with myself. This morning I found out Gauti is leaving us soon. His dad finally found a job in their old hometown and the entire family is therefore moving back there, as soon as in a month. Even the thought that he won’t be around anymore deeply saddens me. I told you, he is so much of joy to be around. I have so many friends but none makes me as happy as he does. Amazingly, even when he is around he hardly talks, yet his mere presence is so stimulating, almost electrifying.”

“Oh baby, I am so sorry to hear that. I know Gauti means a world to you. I can imagine how shocking it is for you to lose such a great friend.”

“Unc, he is so different - unlike the other kids he never says anything that could hurt others’ feelings. He even says comforting things about Ricky and his gang. How many times I heard him say ‘they are kids – they would be just fine when they grow up.’ If Ricky had bullied me like the way he did to Gauti, I would be mad like hell at him. But he doesn’t have that awful venom in him to retaliate; instead, he always remains calm and positive and tries to win everyone by his larger than life attitude and actions. The other day, my Magnet teacher was talking about the great saints of history and I could already see the similarities between him and them. I wonder how he learned to behave that way!” 

“Does everyone know about it or is it a little secret between the two of you?”

“Everyone in school knows about it. This morning the Math teacher announced it at the end of the class. As she was making the announcement, she kept crying. She repeatedly mentioned she was losing one of the best students she ever had. She also spoke so highly about his character and his willingness to help other students. We were all stunned. I noticed a silence of sadness as everyone walked out of the room. As usual Gauti was the last one to leave the room. On the way out Paula hugged him and cried for a while. I know she will miss him too. Even the history teacher later said some very good things about him.”

“You didn’t say anything to him? Did he sound upset?”

“Yes, after the school as we were walking back together I could feel a terrible sense of emptiness inside me. I could also see the sadness in his face so I kept talking to cheer him up. But he didn’t say a word until we were ready to part as we approached the junction of the Main Street. He just said he couldn’t wait to sit by the Lord. I wonder how he would live without being at this temple every day. I know back in his old hometown there is no Buddhist temple so it is going to be very tough for him considering he is so used to spending time at the temple, even in weekends. Although he is very respectful of other religions and temples, he does not enjoy going to the well-known temple there his parents often visit. He tells me he doesn’t feel happy unless he sits down in front of Lord Buddha.”

“What about Ricky and his gang? Are they happy now that Gauti is leaving for good?”

“I did confront Ricky during the recess and asked him the same question. Though he didn’t answer my question, he didn’t sound excited at all. Now that Gauti is leaving, I have got the feeling that deep down Ricky perhaps regrets bullying him. Before leaving the scene, I asked him to, at least, apologize to Gauti in person. I also reminded him that though Gauti’s parents are poor, they are very good people so he should seriously consider visiting them and ask for their forgiveness. He just sat still without saying a word. You know what, this is the first time I felt sorry for Ricky too. I think he is not as bad as he often comes across.”

“Did you give Granny the bad news? Granny really likes Gauti.”

“Yes, I did tell Granny. She was very unhappy to hear the news. She said she would pray for them. She really believes when someone prays heart and soul, the blessings of Lord Jesus comes his or her way, reversing all sorrows and misfortunes. I didn’t tell my mom though. She has been already so upset over dad’s losing his job; any more bad news could push her off the cliff. She knows how close I am to Gauti. When she is upset she can hardly talk. At night when I see her lying down alone in the dark, I lie down by her to make her feel better. She tries to talk to me but chokes and cries. Last night I thought of telling her about Gauti but couldn’t get it out of my chest, panicking she might collapse. She loved Gauti’s book though.”

“I didn’t know Gauti wrote a book.”

“Yes, I loved it. It’s about a very funny kid who would make you laugh, make you cry, and make you fall in love with life all over again. I couldn’t put it down. One minute I was laughing, and the next I was crying. When it ended, I felt so terrible. I felt I was left wanting so much more. I keep wondering what that kid is now after. I had mom read the book and she loved it too. She now believes Gauti could be a great writer. I asked him to write the volume two, but he doesn’t think that’s a good idea. He is very disheartened that he cannot get it published. He said he submitted the book summary to so many publishing agents without disclosing his actual age but all of them turned him down. They are mostly looking for a well-written book chronicling a great recent scandal. How do you expect a kid to know a great recent scandal? I suggested to him about my scandalous next-door neighbor, but he doesn’t want to waste his energy in such unappealing fixations. Could you find a publisher for him? People would love his central character – doesn’t sound like a fiction at all. I can relate to his main character so well.”

“What about your other friends? Are they upset too?”

“Actually, they all are. They all love him just the way he is, although they have minimum interactions with him as he is not on our soccer team. He is always so nice to everyone that it’s difficult to dislike him. A few days ago after school we stopped at the donut shop for our favorite donuts. As we were coming out of the shop, a man in very shabby clothes suddenly approached us, humbly expressing he hadn’t had anything to eat for two days. Gauti was visibly moved by him so he not only gave his donuts away, but he also asked that man to come to their temple whenever he was hungry. The hungry man thanked him repeatedly and then looked at the sky and mumbled ‘I can see the Lord in him.’ I asked Gauti why he had to give his favorite donuts away. He just said “that man’s need was genuine, while mine was nothing more than impulsive. No one in this world should starve.” To lighten things up, he then humorously said, “I would make a terrible judge though.” 

“Mike, why do you have to cry again? You can always talk to him over the phone. Perhaps you can meet him during the summer vacations. It’s not that they are moving to another country.”

“I don’t know. Whenever I think he is not going to be around us soon, I cry. I don’t know why I can’t stop crying. The more I try, the more I keep crying. I know we will still continue to live in the same country, but it’s not the same thing. There is a big difference between having a daily friend and a long distance friend. With a long distance friend you can indulge in chit chats only, while you grow up with a daily friend, sharing very similar values together. For example, I can talk to Gauti or David or Digchi-Degoom brothers on anything from my heart without having to worry how they would accept my views, but I cannot do the same with my long distance cousins; I have to think twice if I am making sense.”

“Mike, you have to stop crying. I can’t see people cry, let alone my favorite nephew.”



“Then help me. I cannot stop this cry on my own. I am too upset to stop crying. You are no help for me. I want my mom. She knows how to comfort me. I want to see my mom, now!”

No comments:

Post a Comment